SMG: the new rifle

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

SMG: the new rifle

Post by kharnov »

The rifle will be replaced with an SMG in the near future.

ImageOne of the more iconic weapons of Tremulous, the rifle provided free, convenient firepower to the human team, while still retaining its use over the course of the game. All humans spawned with the rifle, allowing the weapon to be used even when the base was being torn apart by an alien attack. Mastering the rifle would prove to be useful over a broad variety of situations, quickly taking down dretches while even proving lethal against larger aliens when used in numbers. Drawbacks of the weapon included the requirement to reload, low damage, and noticeable spread at longer ranges.

For our project, we will be replacing the rifle with a new starting weapon, the SMG. Much like the rifle from classic Tremulous, the SMG will remain free over the course of the game and will mostly overlap with the role of its predecessor. On the other hand, the mechanics of the gun will feel different to those familiar with Tremulous. For instance, our gameplay changes thus far include a faster rate of fire and increased spread for our rendition of the rifle. These will carry over to the SMG, and additional changes may take place as well.

We are in the very earliest stages of modeling the weapon, and more updates on it will be posted as we go along the design process.

Click here to read this article on the main site!

Last edited by kharnov on Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
DwarfVader
Mantis

Re: SMG: the new rifle

Post by DwarfVader »

NOW WE ARE TALKING :thumbup:

very good. I like that model because it shows similarities to the shotgun. I was allways an advocate of the fact that the 2 diffrent weapon families, full energy and kinetic energy weapons should have something in common (color, style, manufacturer logo etc.).
I also think a SMG fits the role of a starting weapon much better than a full length rifle ( military like: arming of staff personal, pilots, self defence etc. )

All in all..awesome model so far.

More of that and less attitude and you might be able to increase the active playerbase from 4 to 5 :cool:
DwarfVader

majkifajki

Post by majkifajki »

"Say hello to my little friend" :D

StalKermit
Dragoon

Post by StalKermit »

:rifle:

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

Not bad.
It looks a bit like a nailer.

Gireen
Graphic Designer
Clan: [DoH]

Post by Gireen »

Elmo
Dretch

Post by Elmo »

Going from Rifle to SMG is cool, changes I would like to see are what you said already higher faster rate and increased spread, but also decreased reload time, and since an smg is lighter then a rifle would there be way to make the human move a little faster with it equipped instead of the heavier weapons?
Also, whats the magazine capacity? 40?
I could see reducing damage and giving a larger capacity and fire rate to make it still pack a punch.

And it would be cool if you could add the rifle back as a purchasable weapon, maybe make it with higher damage and a burst fire to have something different.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

I'd honestly like to keep both, where user can choose upon spawning.

i.e. (with some suggestions):
Rifle -> Slow attack rate of 8 bullets/s dealing 6 damage/bullet, but accurate, reload time 2.5 seconds, 7 clips of 26.
Suggested for mid-range combat.

SMG -> Fast attack rate of 14 bullets/s but low damage of 4 per bullet, but inaccurate with small recoil, reload time 1.5 seconds, 8 clips of 32.
Suggested for close-range combat.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Rifle → SMG is mostly a rename to match the new appearance, it doesn't imply any gameplay changes. However, we might want to revisit the gun's attributes some day, too.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

StalKermit
Dragoon

Post by StalKermit »

Why not match the new appearance with the old name? :bugeyes: