It's release time again – Alpha 22

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
ViruS
Granger

Re: It's release time again – Alpha 22

Post by ViruS »

icaro440 wrote:

s.o Linux Mint 12.04 mate (64)

Universal zip

• daemon fails
  • daemon.exe fails (wine)

Same here.

Btw - Jetpack not being able to hover - What about building? :frown:

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

You can hover with the jetpack by pushing and releasing the jump key while in air (you can also go horizontally rather fast with this). Building with the jetpack indeed requires more skill now but except for some very complicated spots you should be able to build the same bases as previously.

We are working on a bugfix release, give us a few more days to hunt down as many of those naggers as possible. Keep in mind a good portion of the engine has been rewritten from scratch for this release.

Proper testing takes a lot of time and effort. Finding bugs is relatively easy, debugging them (the responsible developer is often not affected by the bug, especially when it's severe) and writing a bug report that explains the issue in technical detail is not. Setting up a testing environment for an upcoming release without introducing bugs by missing a certain file or having a bad one in place is also not straightforward. If you are able to do this and are willing to spend the time you could volunteer as a prerelease tester. Otherwise please understand that most of our developers have their schedule filled, especially around the release date.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Lololo

Post by Lololo »

I used Unvanquished-0.22-windowsx64-installer.exe. And upon starting unvanquished I get a "deamon.exe has stopped working" message with these details:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: daemon.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 529c0580
Fault Module Name: msvcrt.dll
Fault Module Version: 7.0.7601.17744
Fault Module Timestamp: 4eeb033f
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000015a01
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1029
Additional Information 1: 4cd9
Additional Information 2: 4cd94137de68d60d267a454fe5a98bfa
Additional Information 3: 10d8
Additional Information 4: 10d8ccd7a65c301658c7a28497e57ed6

Please help.

rolandixor
Dretch

Post by rolandixor »

Viech wrote:
rolandixor wrote:

:bugeyes: I can't log into any servers (complains about some missing .voice for the basi) and it won't let me into options. :prifle:

Viech wrote:

remove leftover pk3 files inside ~/.Unvanquished. The pak*.pk3 placed there by some servers can cause breakage.

Didn't fix it. I am going to reinstall.

rolandixor
Dretch

Post by rolandixor »

[quote="Viech"]You can hover with the jetpack by pushing and releasing the jump key while in air (you can also go horizontally rather fast with this). Building with the jetpack indeed requires more skill now but except for some very complicated spots you should be able to build the same bases as previously.

You may hate me for repeatedly saying this but it is going to come back to haunt you. The jetpack needs some improvements to allow for it to be used for building properly. The Korx mod got this right by giving you fuel without the other limitation. You could only use the jetpack for a limited time, so you could build with it (for example) but not camp. :announce:

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Why does it need to be useful for building? We're not trying to clone Tremulous here, we're going for a different kind of gameplay.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

It's still useful in building. It just takes a bit more finesse to get where you want to go. Also, a jetpack is an integral part of building kharnov, as it allows you to build in locations inaccessible by foot.