Let's design human weapons!

Request new features or present your ideas.
Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Re: Let's design human weapons!

Post by Khaoz »

seana11 wrote:

I was playing OpenArena today, and most of the trem weapons had their equivalents, except one. There was this long-range hitscan weapon that fired continuously, dealing damage over a period of time. Their representation put it as an electrical weapon, but it could be implemented differently (lasers anyone?). I'm just throwing this out here, but it would definitely be cool.

So kind of like a Link gun from Unreal Tournament 3.
Or Lightning gun in all other quake games (Q3, Quake live)

I've mentioned this to Ishq in-game and he's familiar with the weapon, not sure what his thoughts on implementing it though.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

Khaoz wrote:

So kind of like a Link gun from Unreal Tournament 3.
Or Lightning gun in all other quake games (Q3, Quake live)

I've mentioned this to Ishq in-game and he's familiar with the weapon, not sure what his thoughts on implementing it though.

Well, since OpenArena is essentially a large mod of quake, then yes, it is the lightning gun.

banksy
Mantis

Post by banksy »

perhaps the mass driver can have an actual scope? or if not, maybe introduce a new rifle (with a scope), which shoots a high powered bullet, and has a slower reload time.

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

banksy wrote:

perhaps the mass driver can have an actual scope? or if not, maybe introduce a new rifle (with a scope), which shoots a high powered bullet, and has a slower reload time.

Yeah the Mass Driver does have a zoom feature (right click) but it only zooms in (without changing the HUD), theres yet to be a scope UI built in yet. I'm hoping they make one though, I think it would be pretty cool.

WhiteTech
Mantis

Post by WhiteTech »

Lecavalier~ wrote:

Here's an idea for a gun:

• Accurate up to medium-range distances

• Fires volleys of 3 shots

• 20 damage per shot

• cost 500

• available at s2

• name: The Cavalier

(values are approximate estimations)

It's basically a stronger md with a few key differences, filling a slightly different niche.

I really like that

danmal~ wrote:

When would I choose the MD over the Cavalier and vice versa?

I think the new gun would have bullet travel time, and all 3 have to hit to get max damage....

I like it, dretches would have an easier time then people with a MD, but the human could do more vs larger aliens....

Yog

Post by Yog »

I dont know if blaster upgrades have been ruled out or if this thread is still alive, but how about a purchasable blaster modification that converts it to a constant damage weapon like a laser beam. it would do the same damage over time that the blaster does(or less) but hit its target instantly, the downside being that you have to keep your crosshair on an alien longer to do the same amount damage. This would not be a replacement for a primary weapon by any means, but a complement to it, making it easier to finish off fleeing aliens or lure a pesky mara or dretch whose been dodging all your luci shots.

FLUFF-This modified power supply allows a blaster to draw a constant current from its power source, resulting in a steady continuous stream of (photons/plasma/whatever ). This allows for greater accuracy at longer ranges then the factory condition blaster.

Also, a weapon that shot slow projectiles that behave similarly to hive swarms and damage upon contact, but explode (weakly) after a certian period of time could be fun. Just sayin.

E-Mxp
Graphic Designer

Post by E-Mxp »

I think a contact beam like blaster would be a bit too much, there is a reason why the blaster shoots this slow, low damage blob.

le mi'a bende cu nitcu lo zbasu

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

I'm thinking a short range blast, similar to TF2's airblast from the flamer, for the blaster secondary. Its to push away small aliens like dretches, and does little damage [smaller than the bullet]

I had something similar in my Lolards mod but it didn't work out too good because primary and secondary both share the same knockback value [hence primary fire also had strong knockbac]. [I couldn't find the file where the modifier was put, my search results only find trem.h]

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

banksy
Mantis

Post by banksy »

ViruS wrote:

I'm thinking a short range blast, similar to TF2's airblast from the flamer, for the blaster secondary. Its to push away small aliens like dretches, and does little damage [smaller than the bullet]

I had something similar in my Lolards mod but it didn't work out too good because primary and secondary both share the same knockback value [hence primary fire also had strong knockbac]. [I couldn't find the file where the modifier was put, my search results only find trem.h]

+1 for this idea. I love it.
Or maybe something like a shield gun similar to the one in ut2k4

Battery

Post by Battery »

My main critique of the game right now is that accursed, good-for-nothing blaster. I can't seem to hit anything and it is not powerful. The pistol should be reasonably powerful and punishing but also lack long-range accuracy and low recoil. We could have something like a .22 as the base pistol for builders and riflers (at least that would stop a dretch) and then an upgrade to a .45 or .50 for hard-core sidearm users. Note that in order for any of this to make sense in-game, we would have to make all the bullet damages a little more real and then balance that out with more creative gameplay for aliens.

Also, new weapon:
Combat knife

• Tap fire for a slash with heavy damage against grangers and basilisks, light damage against others
  • Hold for power stab, heavy damage for grangers, dretches, maras, light damage for others
  • When pistol is equipped, hold knife below pistol like a flashlight in CSI

Another idea:
Tear gas

• Fire using some sort of M230-like launcher
  • Tear gas would blur vision of all aliens but marauders (they are badasses)
  • Tear gas would also blur vision of non-bsuit humans and reduce their stamina

Another idea:
Electro-whip (got this idea from watching Iron Man 2)

• The electro-whip is a thick, segmented metal wire capable of bending that is attached to a backpack which keeps it constantly extremely hot and electrified
  • It could be a replacement for the pain saw
  • You could attach it to walls to from a super-trip-wire
  • The battery power in your backpack would be constantly drained while the whip is equipped
  • The whip takes a while to get hot after you equip it
  • The tip is magnetic so you can wrap it around object with ease and attach the end to itself
  • You can wrap it around big aliens to slow them down, but attaching to a tyrant/goon that is moving too fast means that you will be dragged along the ground, losing health
  • Anything walking between the whip and its prey will detach it
  • Being snared by the whip will cause you to have difficulty moving
  • If you are snared, moving toward the culprit and touching him will cause both of you to split the damage
  • Every time you whip something, it would take light damage from the force of being whipped, then progressively heavier constant damage while still in contact with the whip
  • Humans and their structures would be very vulnerable to the whip
  • If the whip is taught and attached to a wall/target and a powerful alien chomps/slashes it, part of the whip will fall off where they got it. Go to an armory to get it fixed
  • Standing still with the whip equipped will cause you to take light damage because of the heat coming off of it
  • Mobility using the whip with light armor will be decreased, and severely impaired when using a battlesuit
  • If the human tangles them self up in the whip, he falls over and becomes snared. To save himself, he must turn it off.