Alpha 9 is ready!

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
velociostrich
Dragoon

Re: Alpha 9 is ready!

Post by velociostrich »

kharnov wrote:

The formatting system is entirely different when posting to the site, and I'd really rather not go through the trouble of retyping the entire post when a link would do.

If you could give me a sample of the markup (a slexy paste would do), I could easily write a shell script to reformat it for you.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

kharnov wrote:

Very funny.

I still think it's worth it because i find it annoying to load all the pictures on the main site.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Asvarox
Mantis

Post by Asvarox »

Actually, You can turn on WYSIWYG mode and copypaste it without losing the formatting. Copying from main page still needs a bit of refining (white font), though copying it from site system's preview or something could produce better results.
The best solution would be to edit the system to post entire news instead of a snippet and link to main page.

Download it! Read on for what's new.Image[h=3]Updates[/h][h=4]Thunder![/h]A brand new map, and a visually impressive one at that. Developed over the span of many months, Thunder takes full advantage of our engine features, including all the fancy texture work you've come to expect. The map itself is enormous, with an abundance of areas to explore. For best results, make sure to play through it on the GL3 renderer.[h=4]Two updated maps![/h]Plat23 and Parpax have also received updates for this release. Plat23 now has bump mapping, and Parpax has undergone some changes to its layout, including new rooms and corridors.[h=4]Numerous art updates![/h]The grenade now has a new model, and in a future release, we'll be adding a first person animation for it. There is an improved creep texture, which affects both alien buildings and granger spit. The human model, tyrant, and acid tube have updates to their textures. We also have new, shiny rifle shells for the rifle, chaingun, and turret.[h=4]Motion-sensing radar![/h]This is our first major gameplay change, and while it seems subtle, it has broad, interesting implications. Radar now functions by detecting motion, and it works this way on both teams. If you keep perfectly still (turning and attacking are allowed), you'll disappear from radar detection. Jumping and movement will make you show up again.[h=4]Translation support![/h]As of this version, we are now releasing Unvanquished in English, Polish, and Ukrainian. Over future alpha releases, we'll pack other languages as well once they're finished. If you'd like to contribute to the translation effort, just visit the 'Translate' link on our home page. To make it easier on translators, we've also removed a lot of needless things from the translation list.[h=4]A HUD menu![/h]Installed HUDs can now be chosen from an in-game menu, making it easier to switch between them. We've included a new HUD for the alien team so that you can test this feature out.[h=4]MD5 improvements![/h]Animations on our new models are now more resource efficient, and this should be more noticeable on slower GPUs. The models themselves also take up less memory than before.[h=4]Bug fixes![/h]As usual, we've fixed quite a few of the bugs lingering from the last release, such as the cg_shadows bug. The human death animation should now display properly. There has also been the usual abundance of code cleanup.[h=4]Our wiki![/h]While not exactly a feature of this particular release, I'd like to draw attention to our work on our wiki. A lot of work has been put into it, especially by velociostrich, and we have some useful articles up. If you'd like to help out with our wiki, let me know!Note: if compiling from souce, you will now need libwebp ≥ 0.2.0. Those using the installers can disregard this message.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Just wondering, to me it looks exactly the same as the previous alpha. I don't see a radar upgrade, texture changes etc.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

ViruS wrote:

Just wondering, to me it looks exactly the same as the previous alpha. I don't see a radar upgrade, texture changes etc.

The internals of the radar have been changed, not the way it looks. You can now sense enemys around two corners (vis-wise) instead of one (imagine seeing through the vis blocker in the ATCS main entrances) and enemy players only show up on radar if they move or attack.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

Also, there are auto-vsays. I discovered this when I tried to activate my missing medikit. I believe there are also ones for grenade.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Viech wrote:

The internals of the radar have been changed, not the way it looks. You can now sense enemys around two corners (vis-wise) instead of one (imagine seeing through the vis blocker in the ATCS main entrances) and enemy players only show up on radar if they move or attack.

As in like.. i can't buy it. The menu looks completely like the previous alpha/tremulous weapons and upgrades available only.

Only difference i've noticed through 5 games was that the menu to choose teams is orange and black [invalid texture kind of organgeblack thing]

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Fuma
Programmer

Post by Fuma »

ViruS wrote:

Only difference i've noticed through 5 games was that the menu to choose teams is orange and black [invalid texture kind of organgeblack thing]

Check your paks.
That is a symptom of having an old menudef.h loaded.

Pak8 has the new one.

ziliss

Post by ziliss »

Still no Mac OS X installer. Is it coming ? Do you need help ?

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Fuma wrote:

Check your paks.
That is a symptom of having an old menudef.h loaded.

Pak8 has the new one.

I couldn't find any file with that name but infopanes.def seemed closest [it describes the buildables] so i deleted that instead. It didn't fix anything as far as i know.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage