The overmind

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
Qrntz
Dragoon

Re: The overmind

Post by Qrntz »

tuxator wrote:

well, it's called evolution.[SUP][dubious][/SUP]

tuxator wrote:

Even if that thing at one point would've eyes, those eyes would give it no benefit in terms of evolution[SUP][dubious][/SUP]

tuxator wrote:

since we go for the average in a game, that thing should've no eyes.[SUP][dubious][/SUP]

tuxator wrote:

Unvanquished wants to be a pseudo-realistic shooter, much like NS2[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]

tuxator wrote:

it has to follow certain paths and one of those is to make those aliens more realistic. By putting eyes on something that doesn't need them it doesn't follow any of those paths.[SUP][dubious][citation needed][/SUP]

tuxator wrote:

by the definition of it[SUP][source?][/SUP]

tuxator wrote:

But eyes? No, those are the least effective things to keep track of something and they need much interpretation and can be easily misled.[SUP][dubious][citation needed][/SUP]

ALiensHUmans

Post by ALiensHUmans »

tuxator wrote:

well, it's called evolution.

well, evolution is a fairytale for grown ups.

tuxator wrote:

Did you ever saw a tree with eyes?

did you ever saw an alien? it was with or without eyes???

tuxator wrote:

Even if that thing at one point would've eyes, those eyes would give it no benefit in terms of evolution

in terms of whose evolution?

tuxator wrote:

They just don't make sense, regardless of how you put it. Unvanquished wants to be a pseudo-realistic shooter, much like NS2 so it has to follow certain paths and one of those is to make those aliens more realistic.

again, did you saw an alien and know more about it... ?

tuxator wrote:

By putting eyes on something that doesn't need them

who told you that?

tuxator wrote:

And yes it is the nerve center. Which is exactly why it doesn't need eyes.

show me someone with a brain that doesn't need eyes :)

tuxator wrote:

But eyes? No, those are the least effective things to keep track of something and they need much interpretation and can be easily misled.

if something can be misled those are not the eyes but the brain which interprets everything.

tuxator wrote:

Also, as Virus (kind of) already said, someone should give that thing a helmet.

who said that alien skin is like ours?

I think the overmind looks very good, especially with the eyes which gives it a unique aspect.

DwarfVader
Mantis

Post by DwarfVader »

Hi there,

IMHO:

i like the red/brownish texture pattern.
i don't like the odd "plate" like thing the OM is sitting on.
I don't like the short tentacles.
I don't think eyes fit well to a thing like an OM

I hope I am wrong assuming that you are trying to sell us the

the tentacles are shorter so that they can fit inside the bounding box and won't clip through walls as easily

lack of engine capabilities as a feature...rather than trying to overcome it. Alien structures are living stuff ...and should therefore be connected and/or touch each other ( Do you know the game Starcraft? ...that's a perfect example. The alien structures ( aka Zerg ) are all sitting on a slow growing carpet of alien slime, witch reflect it pretty good that they are organic).

Please just don't miss the opportunity to distinguish the both teams in every way you can. Thanks

StalKermit
Dragoon

Post by StalKermit »

DwarfVader wrote:

i don't like the odd "plate" like thing the OM is sitting on.

Oh no! Not liking something that has nothing to do with the game!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

People, be nice to each other!

Just imagine the following: If our current OM model has been around for six years in Tremulous and we wanted to replace it with some undefined blue blob with a vagina a lot of people would be mad at us. If it was the other way round a lot of people would be mad at us. If Tremulous didn't exist, a lot of people would be mad at us for having a structure called Overmind at all. Either way, artists that do excellent work get a lot of bad criticism that they don't deserve at all.

Also keep in mind that if we didn't give our developers some form of artistic freedom we would need to pay them and sell the product. Even then we could still not satisfy everyone.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

tuxator

Post by tuxator »

ALiens_HUmans wrote:

well, evolution is a fairytale for grown ups.

and you just disqualified yourself from every kind of discussion that will ever happen to you or has already happened.

To the guy that claims to have seen a tree with eyes: Source or it never happened.

To the person that put every line of my post into quotation marks: dafuq? If you've questions, ask them. As for Unvanquished being a pseudo-realistic shooter: It's not an arena shooter. It has strategic elements, it has 'reality near movement', at least for humans and the weapons of the humans are kinda realistic (well...aside from that chainsaw thing) so...to me that is pseudo-realistic. A 'realistic' shooter would be something like Red Orchestra or that US Army game (I always forget the name). Weapons jamming, limbs that are hit giving you disadvantages, leaning... If I'm wrong with the assumption that Unvanquished is a pseudo-realistic shooter, please explain what it is then.

As for the guy that wanted to know if I ever saw an alien: No and it doesn't matter. Evolution is the same everywhere (at least there is no proof of it being otherwise and it is the only concept we can observe). Short wrap up about what Evolution basically describes: The individuals that are adapted best to their environment will have more children than any other individual. The 'adaption' is no intelligent process. There are random DNA mutations that cause differences. For example, in humans, we've humans that have dark skin, white skin or kind-of yellow skin. Or different eye colors. Or, let's assume that all the techniq didn't happen and we would still hunt, people like me that need glasses to see anything that is more than 5 meters away from them would not be able to spread their genes because they'd die of starvation (yay for technology).

So, since those alien brains must reproduce somehow, the ones that are, thanks to random genetic mutations, better adapted to their environment in comparsion with all other brains will reproduce more than them. And by all means, those eyes are hardly beneficial to something that can't really use them.

*edit if those Aliens don't have DNA, they've some equivalent. Something that describes how they...look like or what body parts they have. And that information will most likely be altered when reproducing.

I don't think that those Aliens are manipulating that 'information'. Reason: If they could do that, they'd have constructed something like an 'uber warrior', which they don't have. Or they did a really shitty job at that.

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

http://i.imgur.com/He7VS.png
Here you go.
And stop being so pretentious, you started posting only recently and suddenly you became an expert on all things Unvanquished?

E-Mxp
Graphic Designer

Post by E-Mxp »

I really do like the new Overmind model, I do think however that it should have more eyes. Giving it two eyes would make it inconsistent with the other models. Maybe make the eyes more rudimentary (not animated/smaller then the forward eyes)?

Also, please take the evolution debate to some other forum, it has no place here.

le mi'a bende cu nitcu lo zbasu

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

KenuR wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/He7VS.png
Here you go.
And stop being so pretentious, you started posting only recently and suddenly you became an expert on all things Unvanquished?

I think I still have that game. :D

Grab reality by the balls and squeeeeze!

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »