Weekly update: Jan. 13th

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Weekly update: Jan. 13th

Post by kharnov »

In this article, I'll be going over what we've been up to lately. Read on for what's new.

ImageAs you might have noticed last week, with the fixing of bloom being part of our eleventh alpha release, we've been getting to work on doing some cool things to our renderer code. This week, we now have proper rimlighting, implemented by gimhael. If all goes well, we'll probably have HDR rendering fixed by the end of the month, too! All model shots in this post have rimlighting and bloom enabled on them, and you can see it for yourself if you're compiling the game from source. One neat thing about rimlighting is that it will affect all models, not just our new ones, so even the remaining Tremulous models should look better until they're replaced.

ImageBesides the renderer, we've been up to other things on the coding front as well. Besides his new work on the bots, Fuma has also been implementing libRocket, which, as you may recall, is one of our beta goals for this quarter. It's part of our codebase now, but there's still a lot left to do with getting it to a usable point. Darren Salt has been going through some bugs, and has now fixed that annoying ‘bad corpseNum’ error that often disconnects players after the end of a game. In addition, he has been doing some interesting things with our bots, putting together a sort of dretch rush game mode that you can try out on his training server. Over time, as we implement a game mode abstraction layer, it will very likely become one of the default modes that a server operator can choose to utilize.

ImageThe egg by Dandoombuggy and the overmind by Osiris are both in-game now, but the two models will need some further preparation before we can release them. If all goes well, they should be in the February release, or if not, then March. The overmind has already been animated by gavlig, but we'll need to redo some of the texture maps on it in a higher resolution. As for the egg, it's on standby until velociostrich finishes a texture tool he's been working on. The tool will allow us to make a few minor adjustments to the model before it's ready to be animated. Lastly, chris has been getting to work on a new reactor. You may have already seen his work on the turret and grenade models. I am confident that the reactor will come out quite fantastic.

ImageOur mappers have been up to various things as well. EmperorJack has been doing some more work on Plat23, adding some further detail to the new outside area that made its debut last release. Afterwards, he will likely be returning to his Thunder map, or may begin work on a new map entirely. Pevel is more or less done with Yocto, and sooner or later he'll be getting to work on his second and third maps, which will be Perseus and Antares, respectively. You may recall these maps from Tremulous, these were earlier works by him. He'll be making adjustments to both, as well as giving them a complete graphics overhaul. Viech has been programming a texture tool that will allow him to swap out all the textures on Parpax, replacing the current set with a new, normal mapped one. The tool, which he has named Chameleon, should work on most maps made with some variant of Radiant. Considering the usefulness of such a utility, it will likely see a standalone release for mappers in our community and beyond to use.

Click here to read this article on the main site!

seana11
Tyrant

Re: Weekly update: Jan. 13th

Post by seana11 »

Great job on fixing the corpse number bug. That was really annoying, especially because you never got to see your score at the end.

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

It's starting to look quite good, I must say. I wonder how the game will look when it hits beta.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

so even the remaining Tremulous models should look better until they're replaced.

Typo spotted!

...and that egg... it looks thin at the branch/trunk (treetrunk?) of the structure, but oh well.

It's been almost a year since the first proper release.. hopefully Unvanquished will be well accepted into the world of gaming by Beta stage.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

icaro440
Marauder

Post by icaro440 »

Unvanquished soon become my favorite game, I sincerely believe that this game is being developed in an exemplary manner (players are informed of progress and also our opinions are taken into account.) I'm sure that this way of working will produce a great game.

I feel very comfortable playing on the map plat,it will be a great successor to the ATCS.

Congratulations.

StalKermit
Dragoon

Post by StalKermit »

icaro440 wrote:

I feel very comfortable playing on the map plat,it will be a great successor to the ATCS.

Blashpemy! None will ever be as great as ATCS. Except maybe NTCS...

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

StalKermit wrote:

Let's remake it for the (millionth time)!
Like gloom was remade, much of it was preserved. We should do the same.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Amazonian1515
Mantis

Post by Amazonian1515 »

Off-Topic, slightly, but whenever I read a blog/news post on the forums, the sentence will start after the image, which is a bit confusing. It's fixed when I go to the main site though.

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

StalKermit wrote:

This is going to cause some controversy, but here it goes anyway.
Fuck ATCS.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

KenuR wrote:

This is going to cause some controversy, but here it goes anyway.
Fuck ATCS.

Eh; I've found that that is the only map that isn't biased one way or the other in any obvious way. It still is boring after a while, though.