Here comes Alpha 12!

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
ViruS
Granger

Re: Here comes Alpha 12!

Post by ViruS »

seana11 wrote:

You can sell Unv, because it's gpl'd. It may be a bad thing to do, but it's still legal. For example, you could distribute it on CD and charge for the cost of the CD.

Considering our game currently needs a lot of updates, CDs are more useless than ever. Not to mention they only store a few MB.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

danmal

Post by danmal »

WhiteTech wrote:

Ah that's very exciting.

EDIT: Why don't you have a check for anything it doesn't need to download? IE: something like an updater. Just downloads the key updated files. Of course I have to idea what that would involve, Im guess quite the amount of coding just for itself.

Yes, that's what the installer currently does. The problem is that maps are downloaded to fs_homepath/main when downloaded from a game server while the installer puts them in fs_basepath/main. The installer only ever checks fs_basepath but it's easy enough to make it check fs_homepath as well.

WhiteTech wrote:

Ah that's very exciting.
and Icaro.... I think it only looks like it gets hung up. It looks like that for me, but in reality it's downloading maps. Usually takes an hour or so, depending on how ridiculous my ISP wants to be.

That's because a blank progress window obscures the download window. This issue has also been fixed. Slow downloads are generally due to a SourceForge mirror being crap. It's not an easy problem to fix on our end.

WhiteTech wrote:

But maybe instead of torrent, just a straight ZIP version from the site is what you're thinking more of.

No one on the dev team has the bandwidth to upload a couple of gigs every month. That's the main reason why we haven't made a zip file available for download. We'll probably do it when we hit beta and updates aren't quite so often.

banksy
Mantis

Post by banksy »

The limbs of the aliens should also be effected by blur. As it looks like the field of view is the only area effected by the blur. Whereas the alien should also have some blur. Imagine yourself moving your arm slightly fast in front of yourself. It you seen as if there was a blur. This should be included in the game to add some more realism. Otherwise great job on the project so far. Its coming along really nicely and its great to see improved bots :)

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

ViruS wrote:

Considering our game currently needs a lot of updates, CDs are more useless than ever. Not to mention they only store a few MB.

I am aware; it was only for the sake of example.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

banksy wrote:

The limbs of the aliens should also be effected by blur.

It may be taken at the point where the arms are in their most 'stationary' part of their animation.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

banksy
Mantis

Post by banksy »

Ah I see. I guess when I see it in action I can get a better feel for it. Its hard to tell by an image

Unregistered

Post by Unregistered »

How is the blur implemented? Do you have to know anything about OpenGL or game engines? Just asking same I came across a recent enticing paper on plausible motion blur for realtime usage that seemed simple enough.