Alpha 13: one year of Unvanquished!

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
DwarfVader
Mantis

Re: Alpha 13: one year of Unvanquished!

Post by DwarfVader »

SO:....
Rather disapointed by that release:(

• bots haven't improved in no way! ...4 out of 5 bots are still standing around and do nothing on most if not on all maps!
  • still no reloading sounds for human weapons.
  • still the broken wrist weapon hand texture for the human rifle, no weapon hand texture for the luci at all and all weapons have diffrent angles in 1st person view
  • ressource system still unusable on most maps, even if you take care to position drill/leeches with good distance between them...resource gaining is too slow to effectifly build a good base and will stop at 5 gained build points on most maps.
    *still the weird main theme sound crackle/loop bug if you left a game and go back to main menu.

I can't see any improvement over alpha 0.12?
Could it be you weren't ready to relese something this week and just gave us your usual: we have accomplished this and that IN THE PAST, meaningless blabla kharnov? would have been more honest to announce a delay, rather than just increase the version number and do some (word?)magic....

Can't you see that this game needs a larger playerbase to improve the game and find bugs? how could someone write an article with clear conscience on gamer sites to promote the game , if the human 1st person sights look like sh**?

f.e ... Seriously is it soo hard to find some weapon reloading sounds on the net and replace all handtextures with the shotgun weapon hand texture untill final models are available ? ... Put in 10 minutes of real work and we can advance to advertise this great game ...to finaly get some people playing! ( >As bots seem to be rather useless till ... lets say 2016? - IT is important to attract new players! )

+++HATE POST END+++

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

DwarfVader wrote:

Put in 10 minutes of real work

You are free to invest these ten minutes to create free reload sounds, retexture the human hands, send us patches for bots and weapon angle and fix your crackling sound.
As long as no one is working on something there will be no significant progress. I was busy writing a 1600 line retexturing tool to replace the textures on parpax for this release. Everyone else spent a noteworthy part of their free time, too. Unfortunately we decided not to pay 20 people a regular salary so they sit eight hours in an office each weekday. That would've solved all these problems that take time and volunteers to fix in a small open source project.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

icaro440
Marauder

Post by icaro440 »

....and I have to add that the game is expensive for me. You guys should sell this game at a cheaper price, or no one will buy it again. :mad:

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

No, icaro440, we can not lower the price. That would make Unv unprofitable, which is totally not an option for us.

@DwarfVader: Cheers!

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

icaro440 wrote:

and I have to add that the game is expensive for me

You must be thinking Tremulous2 [name subjected to change due to timbo's actions, since it never was a successor although they somewhat claimed to be :P]
Unless your internet is very costy.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

DwarfVader
Mantis

Post by DwarfVader »

well, if you realy need 20 regularly paid people working 8 hours a day to find something like http://www.freesound.org/ .... than I must admit: I haven't thought that game development would be that hard. So I'm taking back what i said and join the euphoric masses of the unvanquished gaming community: "WoW" - "What an awesome release!" - "You guys should take yourself some free time - don't work too much!" - "Impressive Content!" - "Stunned by the opportunity to run this on Linux!" - "Bots work like a charme now as promissed! - This is great!"

I hope that reworked answer it is now a little bit more like you expected, when you posted the release info ? I can assure you good work will allways be recognized!!! ....

Oh I forgott: @the open, friendly and caring Dev Team: a.) Sure people like to contribute, if they only knew that Unv exists at all and of course b.) Sure People like to contribute ideas/mockups, if they are welcomed by your special relationsship Officer /dev/(un)human/tourette ... with words like "u suck", "wrong-ing-ness u are", "lol'ed hard at your contribution" etc.

SO I won't worry too much about the lack of contributions, if the game gets a little bit more polished 1st person views and people can begin to write articles on gaming sites and spread the word that THERE IS INDEED A GREAT TREM SUCCESSOR OUT THERE :-) ... the contributions will come!!!

+++LOVE POST END+++

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

Viech wrote:

Thank you for the guide, but for me parpax isn't remotely as dark as on your screenshots. What gamma do you use? The default should be at 1.3. How do yocto and plat23 compare to parpax? Unfortunately it's tough to predict brightness due to different gamma settings and different screens (I have an IPS panel with a backlight that is still pretty intense on 0%).
Could you post a screenshot of a normal situation so I can compare it to my own experience, maybe take a shot of lower storage?

Code: Select all

"r_gamma" is:"1.700439" default:"1.3"

normal pics

Unregistered

Post by Unregistered »

would be nicce if there was a preview of the weapons in the buy menu

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

seana11 wrote:

normal pics

Hmm, the brightness of lower storage is similar to here. Some surfaces look a bit darker though due to missing specular mapping. I will keep an eye on lighting and try to prevent these black spots.

seana11 wrote:

Code: Select all

"r_gamma" is:"1.700439" default:"1.3"

Does changing gamma have any influence? 1.7 is usually extremely bright.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

DwarfVader wrote:

http://www.freesound.org/

Just because there are free sounds on the internet does not mean that we should just go right ahead and use them without any sort of remixing. Also, nobody here has the time to do sound stuff; basically, we need dedicated sound people.