Alpha 23 – with added grangers!

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
Anomalous
Programmer

Alpha 23 – with added grangers!

Post by Anomalous »

New granger model, improved sound, turrets, and more…

New granger model!Imagehhhhhh – stare into my beady eyes!We've also made a few cosmetic adjustments to the human armour.

Audio system rewrite!We're using OpenAL everywhere now (QAL's gone), so we can now start making good use of various effects; as of this release, we have doppler and reverb. There's a /testReverb command, intended to help mappers choose a suitable preset; we have reverb effects much like we already have colour grading – and Parpax has been updated to use this.

Gameplay changesR.I.P. Defence ComputerThe defence computer farms have repaired their last. The last few were shut down just a few hours ago, and we held a 10-second silence in honour of the truly magnificent repair ability of one million DCs in and around the human base. Flags were at half-mast. Grangers briefly stopped building. Dragoons held back on their pouncing. Humans camped for a moment as the last defence computer was ceremonially destroyed, along with a team-mate who'd set up camp too close, by a defending lucisuit.

Instead, the human team's buildings now have self-repair capabilities, and the construction kit repair rate is reduced to compensate for this. Reactor zap is extended but weakened, and it gets the defence computer bonus by default.

Danger! Improved turrets!Turrets now lock onto aliens much more quickly; there is no delay before they start shooting. They're now much more like those of Tremulous 1.1 than 1.2 – in particular, they're much more effective against smaller aliens but less so against tyrants. We've also fixed the firing effect.

MiningWhen placing a drill or a leech, the mining efficiency gain (or loss) is now shown. This is much more useful than the percentage efficiency for the building in question since you'll immediately know if you'd lose mining efficiency instead of having to wait until the building is complete.

MiscellaneousHives have more sting – their choice of target is improved.

The build time for leeches and drills is halved.

When you receive damage, if you have a jetpack then, instead of it being temporarily disabled, some fuel is lost.

IQM supportWe now have support for the IQM format for models and animations, and we'll start making use of this over the next few releases.

Other changesSnowstation is now known as Chasm.

You can now switch renderers without exiting. Set cl_renderer as needed then /vid_restart. There are also a few small renderer fixes. /modcase now recognises the ‘compose’ and ‘menu’ modifier keys. default.cfg is client-only now, and client and server use different history files.

We've done quite a few small clean-ups and fixes since Alpha 22. /delay (with the value given in frames) works again. /gametimelimit is no more, having been merged into /time. Latched variables have been fixed and some server command output formatting has been fixed up.

Various admin commands don't make sense during intermissions, so we've disabled them at those times. One fun one was to have the last egg or telenode in a location visible from the default spectator camera then to revert its destruction just after the game is won by the other team: an egg visible there despite humans having won!

We've moved a little closer to getting rid of QVM code: the game code is now compilable as either C or C++.

Click here to read this article on the main site!

Last edited by Anomalous on Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:09 pm UTC, edited 9 times in total.

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

Forty-Two
Mantis

Re: Alpha 23 – with added grangers!

Post by Forty-Two »

Danger! Improved turrets!Turrets now lock onto aliens much more quickly; there is no delay before they start shooting. They're now much more like those of Tremulous 1.1 than 1.2.

Yay! Not just at that, but that in particular :D

Oh by the way, could you perhaps give me the cvars for the new audio system? Also, when I use the options menu of the main menu, when I go to the sound options it gives the old menu, and modifies the old cvars, which you might want to know. When playing on a server I got the new menu.

MCMic

Post by MCMic »

Same problem as with last release, mouse sensitivity is awfully low and keyboard is not working correctly in Options menu. I tried putting mouse sensitivity in the option menu to the maximum or minimum it does not change anything. The mouse is also inverted.Alpha 21 was working, please fix this.

Vhati

Post by Vhati »

Installed 23.0 over 22.1 on Windows...

The following game assets appear to be corrupt:
navmesh-23.0~

Would you like to redownload these assets?

Every time I click 'Yes', a few seconds pass, and the prompt appears again.

Wireshark shows no network traffic during that pause.

Last edited by Vhati on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

MCMic wrote:

Same problem as with last release, mouse sensitivity is awfully low and keyboard is not working correctly in Options menu. I tried putting mouse sensitivity in the option menu to the maximum or minimum it does not change anything. The mouse is also inverted.Alpha 21 was working, please fix this.

Could you add information about your operating system and how you installed the game? This seems to be an issue with SDL2, but we need to know this data to be able to investigate (and tell you how to use SDL1 instead, if applicable to your way of installation).

Vhati wrote:

Installed 23.0 over 22.1 on Windows...

The following game assets appear to be corrupt:
navmesh-23.0~

Would you like to redownload these assets?

After clicking yes, a few seconds pass, and the prompt appears again.

Wireshark shows no network traffic during that pause.

The navmesh file was replaced with a fixed version shortly after the release. I'll point ds and whoever prepared the windows installer here, they should be able to help you.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Was that the actual name of the file? The file is actually called navmesh-0.23.00.pk3.

If so...it may just be that the installer doesn't like tildes... Will need to investigate.

Vhati

Post by Vhati »

Ishq wrote:

Was that the actual name of the file? The file is actually called navmesh-0.23.00.pk3.

The popup says "navmesh-23.0~".

I have a file named "navmesh-0.23.00.pk3" (3,657,920 bytes).
MD5: f43342b77de2e236bfa62ad7fff889b5

That matches what I got when I manually downloaded it from sourceforge.

If omitting the trailing 0 and entension weren't intentional, it does look like tildes are confusing the installer.

Vhati

Post by Vhati »

Completed the installation ignoring that nag.

Started the game, joined the training server during Platform23.
Human and alien bases and tunnel were fine. But even with low quality gfx settings, FPS dropped to 2 in the open-air region between bases.
That was previously one of the most well-behaved maps.

Aside:
Some localized spots on the Yocto map got me thinking: Too bad I can't plot my location/heading to communicate problem areas.

It'd be cool to spawn cones in-game to see a guided tour (based on server data collected from a
"/report-map-issue lowfps|etc <msg>"
console command run by players), but of course not practical. shrug

Separate bug:
Btw: The in-game console said this:

Failed to load animation file models/players/builder/die2.md5anim
Failed to load animation file models/players/builder/die3.md5anim
Failed to load animation file models/players/builder/turn.md5anim

Another bug:
This one's probably not new.

At the main menu, hit tilde to get the in-game console.
Escape will not dismiss it. Instead a prompt asks about quitting, but the console consumes mouse/keyboard input, so it can't be interacted with.
But I could type "quit" in the console at least.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Console is confirmed. Odd that escape doesn't make it go away. How about shift-esc? As for granger warnings...the files don't exist, so those are expected. You can ignore those as they're harmless.

Vhati

Post by Vhati »

Ishq wrote:

Console is confirmed. Odd that escape doesn't make it go away. How about shift-esc?

Shift-esc, Shift-esc toggles. :thumbup:

When playing peekaboo with the console: Shift-esc-esc does not.

Shift has to be released and re-pressed.