City Center

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

City Center

Post by kharnov »

We've been making some more progress on our next map. Read on for what's new!

Click here to read this article on the main site!

KenuR
Tyrant

Re: City Center

Post by KenuR »

Now this is a map I'm actually excited for. Very interested to see how it will turn out.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Nais.
Btw is radiant capable of making animating models solid? It's so we can have, for example, make that squid tentacle things move will be quite interesting. Also it could present future possibilities such as something similar to chuck's tremship, but let's say the interior could animate (such as a possible engine room? - Generally these haven't been done while mixed with other entities such as train).

It's best to focus on the battle at hand, as gazing at the city around you for too long will leave you vulnerable to a roaming marauder.

My marauder is best suited in open areas with maybe walls (not really needed) but handrails and edges really get me annoyed. I'd say that scene is quite anti-dragoon and anti-marauder in my opinion. Open, yet restricts movement.

Here's our human model standing around on one of the platforms, to provide you with a sense of scale.

I cancel out that previous statement :/

When you create a map, the first thing you do is make an empty map with placeholder textures to ensure that you're fine with most features of the layout before you get into adding the fine detail, like map objects and decorations and actual textures.

Hmm I never thought of that. Right now I create->caulk->texture selected sides->edit (clipping etc.) for every brush which is pretty inefficient time-wise. I'll take that advice :)

Btw, I reckon that even maps without proper textures and placeholder single-coloured textures are fine to release in this alpha stage to test gameplay balance. People in the past (and still currently) use lightmap mode for tremulous 1.1 [but sadly it's declared as a cheat variable for gpp and probably unv too]

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

ziliss

Post by ziliss »

Yep, railings and fences make it much harder to run around while wallwalking :(
Hard to track your direction and makes you fall off at sharp edges making you an easy target while you try to regain your sense of direction. Going over a fence or running around them is a perilous exercise and it prevents you from hiding on the other side or making surprise attacks or quick escapes.
Unless we get a smarter wallwalking algorithm, I am rather against railings and fences.

Or maybe you are using them to give an advantage to humans in some dangerous places ?

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

It really depends on how the fence is designed. The fence could simply "feel" like a flat wall even though it doesn't look like it. Railings are meant to be for humans to prevent them from walking off an edge. Aliens are not meant to wall walk on those anyways.